All hail the humble email.
It may not be as trendy as Snapchat and Instagram, or as flashy as PPC ads, but it is quietly getting things done. It’s effective, powerful, and consistent.
And in the digital marketing age, that’s the trifecta you want more than any other.
In fact, it’s so good at what it does, that it rarely gets the accolades that its younger, hipper counterparts (Facebook ads, social media, Adwords) receive all the time. We take email for granted.
Let’s face it: email is popular. Very popular. Total worldwide email users is expected to hit 2.9 billion by 2019. And in the marketing game, popularity is step one. You need to utilize the platforms that everyone loves.
Roughly 205 billion emails are sent daily, and the average office worker receives about 121 of them each day. 42% of us check our email in the bathroom (and the other 58% just don’t admit it). We read them in bed, while watching tv, while driving (yikes!), at work, at home, and on vacation.
Email, email, email. We just can’t get enough.
But email is more than just the cool kid at school. Well-known and accepted, yes. But it goes beyond that. It’s a marketers best tool, secret, and weapon.
Almost three-quarters of American adults cite email as their preferred communication channel with companies and brands.
According to the latest email benchmark report from Experian, the average open rate across all industries in the third quarter of 2016 was 25.7%, with a 2.7% click rate. Not bad, right?
Obviously, those numbers vary – sometimes higher, sometimes lower – depending on your specific industry. You can easily find current industry averages online. MailChimp, for example, provides a regularly updated database arranged by industry and company size.
Email: More Than Meets the Eye
In only about twenty years, email has revolutionized the way we communicate, and its place in the annals of history would be safe for that reason alone.
But it didn’t take long for marketers to hitch their wagon to the Email Express. It was, is, and will likely remain the most cost-effective and powerful channel in the digital age.
Don’t believe me? Consider just a few relevant statistics:
- Email marketing brings in an average of $38 for every $1 spent (that’s an ROI of 3800%). One in five companies report an ROI of 7000%…or more.
- It’s 40x better at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter.
- You’re 6x more likely to get that all-important click-through from an email rather than a tweet, and it’s 5x more likely to be seen compared to a Facebook post.
- Nearly 90% of marketers list email as their primary channel for lead generation, and 54% believe it is the most effective type of digital marketing.
There’s no shortage of incredible email stats.
Email can turn your marketing funnel into a well oiled and fuel efficient machine. And a strong funnel is the foundation of a strong business. The email marketing funnel is the one funnel to rule them all. [click to continue...]